Marketing and Communications Manager
The Marketing and Communications Manager for Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic reports to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications. He/she coordinates public relations programs including media, news stories, issuance of press releases, print newsletter content and other efforts to support the Vice President of Marketing and Communications. In addition, he/she assists in the development and execution of chapter collateral for all departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Report on media impressions and impact monthly;
• Produce content for quarterly chapter print newsletters and other communication to donors, volunteers and supporters;
• Oversee writing and distribution of press releases and media alerts on wishes, events and other new worthy topics;
• Secure media coverage throughout the region year-round;
• Help to drive media projects and manage media relationships;
• Deliver quarterly reports on all earned media;
• Connect with media, radio stations and local media to explore opportunities for stories, PSA placements and publicizing of events;
• Assist in the organization’s proper utilization of brand standards;
• Lead efforts on major media campaigns such as Season of Wishes® and World Wish Day® in conjunction with VP;
• Working with the appropriate departments, manage the text content creation of the following communication products: e-newsletters, print newsletters, donor acknowledgements, fact sheets, campaign overview sheets, buck slips (inserts), PowerPoint presentations, event programs, volunteer communications, blogs, wish stories, chapter brochures, displays, signs, posters, Program Services materials and all other internal/external communication content (collaborating with the Creative Services Manager where appropriate);
• Write feature articles, letters to the editor, position responses, etc. for use by the media as needed;
• Develop, steward and manage relationships with local media outlets, bloggers and reporters;
• Creative scripts and talking points for events and campaigns as assigned;
• Effectively manage direct report and ensure progress to goals are meet and staff member supported;
• Balance competing priorities and work collaboratively with colleagues;
• Adhere to all Make-A-Wish America performance standards and Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic internal controls, policies and procedures;
• Required attendance at chapter events as necessary in support of the Foundation’s mission;
• Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Supervision is received from the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and exercises supervision over Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or similar field.
• At least 3-5 years of experience building and maintaining relationships with media, businesses and community members.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
• Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and Raiser’s Edge database management software preferred.
• Ability to train others in effective speech giving in relation to the Foundation’s mission and core values.
• Ability to speak publicly in large or small venues to diverse audiences.
• Skilled in managing schedules of staff/volunteers
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
• Knowledge of and adherence to the Foundation’s policies, procedures and processes regarding incoming external donations.
• Ability to interpret guidelines and procedures and analyze the proper response if faced with a problem.
• Ability to work with others outside of the organization.
• Exemplify a can-do work ethic and attitude.
• Skilled at communicating clearly to vendors, new volunteers, Wish Ambassadors and members of the chapter’s donor base.
• Skilled at building lasting relationships with potential donors and volunteers.
• Highly professional demeanor, able to work successfully with a wide variety of constituents including donors, board members, volunteers and professional consultants.
• High levels of integrity, trustworthiness, flexibility, compassion and humor are necessary to address the practicalities of a growing nonprofit, along with the creativity and persistence required to elicit new thinking and change.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision, ability to manage multiple priorities and work in a deadline driven environment.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Susan Lucas, email@example.com