How to Apply
To apply for an internship with us, please complete and submit pages 2 to 5 of our application packet, a resume and cover letter to our office via:
- Email to email@example.com,
- Fax to 301.656.2857 OR
- Mail to Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic, 6555 Rock Spring Drive Suite 280, Bethesda, MD 20817
Unfortunately, our summer 2020 internship program has been cancelled. We appreciate your flexibility and understanding. We are currently accepting application materials for our fall 2020 semester. Please submit your application, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 31, 2020.
We offer internships opportunities within each of our departments. All internships are unpaid and last a minimum of 10 weeks at 16+ hours per week.
Mission Delivery: Interns will assist the Mission Delivery team with the logistics involved in planning our wishes and volunteer programs. Opportunities include:
- Program Services: Assist Program Services with the logistics involved in planning our wishes. This will include data entry, wish family mailings, helping make travel arrangements, writing thank you letters, proofreading itineraries and other materials and getting items donated for wishes.
- Volunteer Services: Assist the Volunteer Coordinator in managing wish-granting volunteers by assigning them to newly referred wish kids, assisting with follow-up and ensuring the necessary paperwork is obtained by the volunteers after each wish interview. Interns will also assist in the recruitment of wish granters by coordinating logistics of trainings and play a role in the continuing education of current volunteers. They will manage the physical and electronic volunteer records to ensure compliance and database integrity.
- Medical Intake and Outreach: Assist the Director of Medical Intake and Outreach with processing referrals and maintaining relationships with local medical community. Interns will assist with obtaining necessary documentation for eligibility determination, maintain database and assist with communications to wish families and local referral sources. Interns will also have opportunity to provide insight into the creation of developmentally appropriate materials and communications. (Ideal position for those interested in Child Life, Social Work or other Health Related field).
Operations/Database: Operations/Database interns will report to the Director of Data & Information Services. Interns will assist the Database team with essential data and reporting functions. Duties will include supporting data hygiene projects, Workplace Giving Support and general Database and Operations team functions. Specific tasks may include data entry and clean-up, preparing and sending receipts, assisting with gift entry and other duties as assigned.
Marketing, Communications and Events: Interns will assist with essential projects in support of the Marketing and Communications team. The EMC team focuses on brand advancement, media relations, social media and other digital content, website work, video production and storytelling. Opportunities include:
- Graphic Design: The graphic design intern will work closely with their supervisor to update, edit and create event and chapter marketing materials. Interns have the opportunity to produce general collateral such as postcards, digital and print advertisements, flyers, e-blasts, website content, event signage and outreach items. Must be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite; experience with Flash and web design a plus.
- Marketing and Communications: Interns will assist with drafting press releases and news advisories. Interns may have an opportunity to assist in producing content for the print newsletter and e-newsletters, designing promotional and other collateral, researching media and in-kind opportunities and developing social media content. Interns will also help with wish story writing potentially work on short videos. Strong writing skills needed. Basic experience in Adobe Creative Suite skills preferred.
- Event Planning: Assist with all facets of event planning including soliciting sponsorships and auction items, recruiting participants and volunteers, managing event logistics, assisting on site during special events. Interns will also have a unique opportunity to plan their own external event as a special project.
Development (Fundraising): The Development intern will work closely with the Development department staff to improve the donor experience through communication and stewardship. The Development intern will make thank you calls, follow up on donor requests, conduct prospect research and gain valuable experience working in a contact management database. There is also potential for opportunities to edit grant proposals and research local foundations. Additionally, there will be some event planning assistance, including an opportunity to participate in and organize logistics for donor cultivation events, as well as provide event support for a summer fundraising event. This role will involve invitation mailing and tracking, donor follow up and the solicitation of auction items. The Development intern will have opportunities for mentorship and coaching from Development staff. Opportunities include:
- Fundraising: Assist with the discovery, cultivation and stewardship of prospects and donors to Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic while gaining valuable skills and experience in prospect research, data management and moves management fundraising. Interns will also have the opportunity to assist with cultivation and stewardship events.
- Corporate and Cause Related Marketing: Assist with third-party fundraising events with external partners, provide Kids For Wish Kids® and Wishmakers On Campus® program support and relationship building with our local and national alliances, donors and external fundraisers
Executive Office: The Executive Office intern will assist the President and CEO on special projects related to governance, policy and procedure reviews, fundraising and project evaluation. The intern will have the opportunity to learn about non-profit governance, budgeting and external relations.
All internships are unpaid positions and include some general office support: filing, answering the phones, sorting, data entry, envelope stuffing, cross referencing, etc.